Thursday, 16 June 2011

Jim construction part 5/set design

Hi guys. I've been doing a few finishing touches to Jim. I'm going to start be explaining how I made the neck.

First I sculpted the neck in plastercine.

Then I stuck it to some foam board and also made a perimeter wall ready for casting. I covered any gaps with a small amount of plastercine for a perfect seal.

Then I mixed some resin plaster and poured it into the tub surrounding the neck. Making sure I didn't cover the top of the neck. This is so it's easier to get the silicone out later.

Next I made a slightly smaller version of the neck out of fimo and cooked it. I placed it in the centre of the upside down cast, superglueing it to a piece of mdf. I then made sure the inner piece wasn't touching the sides of the cast. Holding it all together with elastic bands.

Last part was to pour the silicone into the mould. Once done I was able to slot the neck over Jim's armature. Hey presto... One flexible neck.

I think it's about time I mentioned my co partner in this project. Rob Vaughan. He's working on the script and design of the film with me. The script is coming on great, but I couldn't possibly show you that could I? What I can show you is the early makings of the set design for our pilot scene... Gents toilet!!! Sounds great eh

Here's Rob working on the mdf for the four walls.

Here's Rob showing off our clever idea of being able to flat pack our sets and fix them to the set without any bolts showing. Clever that.

In other quick news. I decided against the ball and sockets in the arms. I want more flexibility with him. So this is a new cast with wire and epoxy gum inside.

Thats all for now keep reading my blog and please spread the word. But for now. Good bye and peace out!!!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Monday, 13 June 2011

Jim construction part 4

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on Jim's head.

After many different tests I have finally picked the head and materials to use. He is made out of soft fimo. I did a lot of tests with White fimo which helped work out his head shape. But when it came to colouring I thought it would be better to actually use coloured fimo.

The advantage of fimo is you can make the basic shape and bake it solid, then you can add more fimo on top and repeat the process. You can repeat as many times as you want. Building up the detail.

Next thing to do is fit Jim's head onto the armature and cast his neck. That will need to be in silicone so it can move and be flexible

Keep reading and spreading the word. The stop motion Zombies are coming


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Monday, 6 June 2011

Jim construction part 3/Walk cycle

Hi guys

Sorry it's been a few weeks. I blame it on my job! Haha

Luckily I have a few weeks of spare time to work on Jim/pilot scene for Stop Motion Zombies

So I left you last with Jim's 2 part mould ready to have silicone poured in. Well hey presto... Here is the finished arms out of the cast and fitted to the armature.

Next step is to foam out the armature with upholstery foam. This helps when Babs (scope animations costume designer) makes the pants/shirt. She can make a tight fit to the foam. This stops the fabric bubbling when moved during shot.

Here is the finished puppet ready to be fitted by Babs. Not looking too bad.

Also in other news. I have been converting my studio from my back room to the middle room which is bigger. Giving me more room to animate.

Sneak peek of Jim on the new set top. It's a full sheet of metal. Great for using the magnet technique instead of tie downs (which I find a little messy and time consuming)

Here is a quick walk cycle test with Jim

Thats all for now folks, hope its kept you all up to date on my project